|Job Location||Knoxville, TN|
Coder is responsible for reviewing patient medical records via paper and electronic format and assigning the appropriate ICD-9 codes, CPT-4 codes, ICD-10 codes, and physician identification numbers to each patient record into the billing system following Team Health coding guidelines. Coders must meet productivity and quality standards to meet established month-end closing schedules.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review documentation on patient records and assign ICD-9 & CPT-4 & ICD-10 codes and physician identification numbers for each patient record.
- Identify errors, problems, or issues and present to Coding management for resolution.
- Report coding problems or irregularities to Coding Manager.
- Exercises knowledge of medical terminology and physiological systems, as well as Medicare coding rules and regulations.
- Attend meetings as scheduled.
- For paper charts only, complete batch control sheet by counting the number of incomplete charts, charts not charged, and charts coded, and recording these numbers in the designated area - signing and dating the batch control sheet.
- Performance of other non-essential duties that may be requested by the Supervisor or Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or equivalent;
- CPC or RHIT preferred;
- Minimum one (1) year experience in medical coding and/or medical terminology and billing experience preferred;
- Good date entry and computer skills;
- Good communication skills;
- Ability to work overtime as needed.